This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
, United Kingdom
Job Family Group
Posting Start Date
January 28, 2022
Where you fit in?
Shell Energy is at the heart of delivering Shell’s ambition to become a world-class investment case that powers progress by providing a diverse array of cleaner energy solutions. Shell Energy is an exciting, fast-moving business – and a key driver in being able to fulfil that ambition.
We are hiring experienced Market Risk Analysts who will support the Shell Energy growth ambitions. We are interested in attracting candidates who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others, with the ability to achieve great results through teamwork and who can generate creative solutions to problems.
As a Market Risk Analyst, you will provide daily performance and risk analysis for the traders and senior stakeholders, ensuring key risks are transparent. In addition, you will collaborate closely with front office and other finance functions in the support of commercial activities, such as new market entries and deal valuationecognition. The successful candidate will be expected to provide risk management expertise in complex areas and should be able to manage their own work with limited supervision.
Candidates will be expected to take the lead/assist on Market Risk matters (e.g. new deals, fair economic value assessments), whilst providing support and guidance to other members of the Market Risk team.
What’s the role?
We are recruiting for Market Risk Analysts across a number of commodity lines: Gas Trading, Power Trading, Environmental Products Trading, Renewables and Energy Solutions (R&ES)
As a Market Risk Analyst, you will have several key responsibilities which will include:
- Develop a close relationship with the European trading business to support new deals and appraise trading activities to ensure mandated exposure and risk limits are adhered to
- Market Risk focal point for front-office and senior stakeholder queries
- Lead the execution of key controls for the business area and collaborate with other functions to ensure continuous improvement of controls/processes
- Act as a representative for Market Risk on a number of strategic projects
- Develop tools for on-going portfolio reviews and produce “deep dive” analysis for senior management
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess riskeward of the portfolio, including: VaR back-testing, stress testing, scenario analysis
- Provide Market Risk input on new and group business proposals. Assess the risks associated with structured deals and the valuation models used for physical/financial trading and hedging, at times building out models to calibrate performance of such deals. Where applicable, provide peer review and challenge to deal proposals for other T&S businesses
- Develop and refine the fair economic valuation approach and provide steer on usage of market risk reserves
- Collaborate with other support functions (e.g. Finance, Technical Accounting) for deal support and general portfolio queries
- Support internal/external audit requirements
We are hiring Market Risk Analysts with proven experience in at least one of the following commodity areas:
Market Risk: Power Trading
- Experience of non-linear products (e.g. CSS), tolling agreements, renewable power PPAs (wind, solar, batteries), capacity, and certificates (GoOs, REGOs)
- Experience of monitoringeporting shape and imbalance risk
- European power market fundamentals knowledge and cross-commodity awareness (e.g. gas, carbon, coal)
Market Risk: Gas Trading
- Experience of long-term gas transactions: modelling contractual flexibility, price reviews, ACQ/MCQ, as-produced off-take profiles
- Experience of non-linear products (e.g. physical/financial options), gas transportation, capacity agreements, storage modelling, and renewable certificates
- Gas market fundamentals knowledge and cross-commodity awareness (e.g. power, carbon, LNG, Crude)
Market Risk: Environmental Products Trading
- Experience of cap-and-trade compliance instruments (e.g. UKAs, EUAs, CCAs) and a good understanding of the interdependencies with other commodity asset classes (e.g. gas, power)
- Experience/knowledge of the voluntary carbon markets and associated standards (e.g. VCS, Gold Standard, REDD+)
- Working experience of long-term deals, structured off-takes and option structures
Market Risk: Renewables & Energy Solutions
- Experience of B2B and B2C energy markets, an advanced grasp of supply risk dynamics, deal structures, demand forecasting, stress testing, scenario analysis, P&L and exposure reporting
- Appraising risks associated with long-term structured positions in the power markets, and modelling of long-term risks
- Experience of renewable energy sources: solar, wind, batteries, hydro, biomass; and a deep understanding of the longer-term demand/supply side fundamentals
What we need from you?
We’re keen to see as many of the following attributes on your CV:
- Market risk experience (3-6+ years) with a good understanding of market risk fundamentals (P&L, exposure, VaR, stress testing)
- Degree in mathematics, economics, engineering, business/commerce or a related field
- Competent in assessing trading valuations, including building and validating new models as needed (e.g. Python)
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Understanding of Fair Value and derivative recognition concepts
- Aligne ETRM knowledge preferred, but not essential
- Strong business analysis, modelling, and problem-solving skills
- Technologically oriented; a good understanding of the Microsoft suite of products: Excel, Power Point, Word, Power BI
- Ability to perform under rigid deadlines and time pressured environments
- A self-motivated team player, who can work remotely as part of a wider global team
- Capable of applied creativity and problem-solving
- A strong communicator and team player
- A broad and agile thinker, with outstanding interpersonal skills that builds trust and credibility
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org