This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Job Family Group
Information Technology (IT)
Posting Start Date
December 1, 2021
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in?
An exciting opportunity to work at the Information & Digital Engineering (IDE) organization in Shell IT. We are looking for a talented Seasoned Practice Leader / Capability Center Leader for Native Software Engineering with great interpersonal skills to join our team. The energy transition is underway and emerging digital technologies are redefining our operating environment. As the home of technical talent for staff and contractors, Information & Digital Engineering (IDE) sits at the heart of Shell’s response to this changing landscape. Offering various capabilities spanning a broad range of technical, analytical, and strategic expertise, we provide our employees with plenty of opportunities to shape the energy transition and have a positive impact in the wider world. With us, you can grow your career, gain certifications, develop leading-edge skills, and deepen your business knowledge in an environment that’s collaborative, supportive and fun. As a growing team, our internal customers access our skills because of our focus on improvement, expertise, experience, and continuous learning.
IDE organization offers a unique opportunity for you to make an impact across a complex integrated energy value chain serving all lines of business in the Group. You could be creating new customer services in the largest Lubricants business globally, or innovating ways to grow an Aviation business which refuels five aircrafts every minute. With Shell investing significantly in renewables, there will be several opportunities to power our green engine too.
Native Software Engineer ing within IDE is the home for Software Engineers to collaborate and develop scalable solutions that accelerate business value, opening new possibilities for Shell. We apply deep engineering skills within a vibrant global community of natural teams, passionate about investing in people. We build commercial, production-ready software. By keeping our solutions on the right track, we gain the trust of our stakeholders and the freedom to break new ground when tackling the challenges of tomorrow.
What’s the role?
As the Practice Leader/Capability Centre Leader for Native Software Engineering, you will play a key role in Shell IT’s mission of delivering value differentiating products to Shell’s businesses globally. This technical leadership role aims to deepen Shell’s development capability in all parts of the backend stack, be it DevOps, Databases, Backend logic or front end. You will be responsible to support in driving the vision for software engineering technologies and processes across Shell and leading high performance engineering teams to deliver customer-centric, value enabling business outcomes. A key aspect of your role will be recruit and develop talent from within the local market, consult with various businesses around potential cloud-native solutions to be developed.
- Build, nurture and grow high performance teams using Agile Engineering principles.
- Act as a people and technical leader sharing own experience, insights and energy, adopting a hands-on approach where needed.
- Set capability build and technical agenda for team members across the globe.
- Keep up to the ever increasing demand from business by hiring right practitioners for the right job and retain / develop existing high performing team members.
Your Key Responsibilities Include
- Leads a team within a Competence Centre. Responsible for defining the capability building agenda for the team in consultation with the CC Manager, then working independently to execute the capability building and staff development of direct reports.
- Ensures optimal resource utilization within the team and leverages contractor resources when required to balance the business requirement of right skills available at the right time and place.
- Develops and drives functional excellence in the team through leveraging Methods and Standards, relevant market developments, and provision of quality assurance against these. Contributes to the functional excellence agenda.
- Is the face of IT Capabilities across a limited scope of business domains, which may be more regional or local in geographical scope.
- Has frequent exposure to and interaction with very senior levels of business leadership.
- Works independently under minimal managerial supervision. Diagnoses and solves significant, complex and non-routine problems; translates practices from elsewhere (other markets, countries and industry) and provides authoritative, technical recommendations which have a significant impact on business performance in short and medium term.
- Actively identifies new approaches that enhance efficiency and the business impact of Competence Centre Management. Represents the Company as the authority in the defined area and acts as a role model to develop experts within this area.
What we need from you?
- Seasoned Leader having 15-20 years of hands on experience in Design, Development and Implementation of scalable cloud-based web and mobile applications.
- Experience in Global role managing geographically distributed teams.
- The CC Lead is expected to Lead and collaborate across other IT natural teams (Business IT, Architect, ITSO).
- Lead and inspire a team of Software Engineers in the US, Europe & India to deliver world class services.
- Champion the native software engineering discipline across the organisation and drive excellence across our on-prem and cloud services.
- Knowledge of and skills in using various Azure and Amazon cloud services. Proven experience in building cloud-native apps on either or both of these cloud platforms.
- Knowledge of CI/CD tools (Azure Pipelines, Circle CI, GitHub, Jenkins, Spinnaker) and Kubernetes and Docker containerization.
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org