Website Mishcon de Reya LLP
This listing is about Mishcon de Reya LLP in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more than 1,000 people with over 600 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. We have grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 40% revenue growth in the past five years alone.
Based in London and Singapore, with an association with Karas LLP in Hong Kong, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work we undertake is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Innovation; Private; and Real Estate.
In times of such far-reaching and profound change we want to be the law firm that enables our clients – and our own people – to shape the world’s possibilities. We are here to help our clients benefit from new economies, new geographic centres of wealth, the new global movement of people and capital, and the impact of new technologies and new knowledge.
Our purpose remains rooted in our founding values. We take pride in the diverse range of people who make up the firm and are proactive in driving change and continuous improvement across the spectrum of equality, diversity and inclusion. Mishcon Academy, our in-house place of learning, development and new thinking for our people, clients and contacts and our innovative impact strategy, including a commitment to be a net zero carbon business, also play a central strategic role in the direction of the firm. In 2020 we launched Mishcon Purpose, a first-of-its-kind sustainability practice providing Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) advice and purpose-driven insight to clients.
The Mishcon de Reya Group comprises standalone businesses MDR Brand Management, MDR Cyber, MDR Discover, MDR Mayfair (in London, Singapore and Dubai) and MDRxTECH. Complementary to Mishcon de Reya’s core areas of work, each is led by best in class professionals recruited from a variety of non-legal industries and sectors.
At Mishcon, we are well placed to understand the nexus between the corporate, business and personal taxation needs of our clients. We offer high-end strategic tax advice, including VAT, which protects our clients’ interests. We are one of a small number of firms that offers a tax practice spanning both corporate and personal tax and one of a smaller number still – arguably the only – high end tax practice that incorporates litigation capabilities alongside non-contentious advice. This capability is unmatched by our competitors in both legal and accountancy firms.
The Tax Practice recognises the diversity of our client base, as well as their changing needs, as their personal and business concerns overlap in a highly scrutinised and regulated environment.
The senior team is supported by lawyers qualified in a variety of significant tax jurisdictions. Our work involves both UK and cross-border transactions, international tax planning and tax advisory practices. We cover all the tax issues that any individuals and businesses are likely to face; from start-up; VAT; financing; growth capital; bolt-ons and joint ventures; the realisation and return of value; to succession and wealth preservation.
Our clients are a mix of ultra-high and high net worth individuals, institutions, investors, property developers, entrepreneurs, local authorities and charities. We advise UK and international clients on both direct and indirect taxes especially stamp duty land tax and VAT.
The group works with a diverse range of institutions, companies and high net-worth individuals managing and protecting their assets in the most tax-efficient manner. The role involves collaborative working with other groups and departments within the Firm. This is an exciting role and a great opportunity for the right person to stand out and make a significant contribution to the group.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful candidate will have an interest in advising on both personal and corporate tax. They should have experience of the tax aspects on the following below:
- M&A transactions and the personal tax implications of such transactions
- Corporate Finance
- Property Transactions
The role will involve advising on direct and indirect tax issues, cross border structuring and strategic advisory work for long established clients of the firm.
Skills And Experience
- Strong technical knowledge in corporate tax, the individual could be ex-corporate tax or still in corporate tax, private tax experience is not essential, but an interest in working with business and personal tax is required.
- Ideally, the candidate will currently be working in a large or medium sized commercial law firm in London.
- CTA qualifications is desirable but not essential.
- This is the ideal opportunity for someone who has transactions experience, but who wants to do more advisory work including:
- Incorporating, structuring and mergers of corporate entities;
- Regulatory issues and related rules and guidance;
- International non-corporate structures and regimes;
- Value added tax as well as employment tax related advice;
- Advice relating to governance of entities;
- And implementation of the advice.
We are seeking candidates with “hands on” experience who possess the following skills and attributes:
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong organisational and prioritising skills, in order to meet the demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients, as well as dealing with competing priorities.
- Ability to manage own diverse workload.
- High standards of care and service in a professional manner.
- Confident and assertive, with the ability to build good relationships with clients, partners, fee earners and business operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to meet the drafting and presentation aspects of the role.
- Resilient and calm under pressure.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Adaptable, flexible with a common sense approach.
- Proactive and takes initiative.
- Takes responsibility for and attends to self-development.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
We strive to create a fully diverse and inclusive workplace where all our people are empowered to fulfil their potential. We are proud of our agile working culture and are always happy to talk flexible working.
Company: Mishcon de Reya LLP
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A