Website JDR Cable Systems
This Job Listing is about JDR Cable Systems in Hartlepool,England,UnitedKingdom 2022 posted on jobz2day.com
About the job
As a JDR Senior Engineer with a strong engineering background, you will take a lead on high voltage technology engineering and operations support projects, including undertaking and supporting any relevant R&D & qualification projects. You will provide technical support and electrical expertise to the wider business under the direction of the Principal Engineer to additionally deliver knowledge enhancement, continuous improvements and engineering support to operations.
You will take ownership of R&D, engineering and operational support projects, manage and deliver them on schedule, in budget and with quality. You will play a key role in transferring new technology and knowledge into the wider business and launch technologies into the offshore renewable energy market through involvement in new technology qualifications to international standards.
This role requires you to be at the forefront of JDR’s technology and operational support, where you will have a passion for advancing technical knowledge and a strong self-drive for implementing continuous improvement, whilst striving for completeness and using foresight with attention to detail.
Collaborating with core team members, and also with stakeholders across the wider JDR business it will be your primary objective to ensure that JDR continues to solve both the current and future submarine cable challenges the offshore renewable energy sector faces. This is a fantastic opportunity to join us in this forward thinking role, where you will be lead and/or contribute to key support, research, development, demonstration and validation/qualification activities.
This role is based at our Hartlepool office but will have a strong emphasis on collaboration with manufacturing personnel at the Hartlepool Factory.
As a Senior HV Technology & Operations Engineer you will be expected (but not limited) to:
- Lead defined activities to research, develop, transfer and deploy high voltage technologies and operations in relevant areas to meet JDR identified product and operational requirements as well as meeting customer and any relevant requirements of appropriate international standards.
- Lead technology trials, testing and some elements of qualification programmes, including destructive testing to verify models and design parameters using both internal facilities and leading High Voltage test facilities.
- Innovate and generate engineering models and complex calculations using both scientific computing tools and engineering fundamentals from first principles to deepen JDRs technical knowledge to design new products and optimised processes.
- Effectively transfer new products, knowledge and processes into the wider business workflows, including effective project management of R&D and support projects, acting to enhance technical capability and effectiveness of high voltage operational activities.
- Compile, check and update technical documentation such as Design Specifications and Procedures, Test Procedures, and Purchase Specifications, whilst ensuring a high level of accuracy is present in all documents.
- Lead the development of internal business cases to demonstrate the commercial viability of new technology research and development, liaising with both internal and external stakeholders where appropriate.
- Engage with suppliers, customers universities and not-for-profit research organisations, using NDAs as applicable, to bring in appropriate new technology and materials whilst maximising JDR’s protection of IPR.
- Provide training to other engineers, including engineers within the wider business with your specialist knowledge.
- Play a role in maintaining high voltage electrical safety.
The specific technical areas you may be involved in include but are not limited to:
- High voltage testing, condition fingerprinting and fault finding of electrical assets
- HV submarine power cable design and qualification for offshore electrical networks
- Submarine cable accessories and terminations for offshore electrical installations.
You should ideally have previous experience of R&D / industrial design experience in a relevant technical area, ideally within electrical power engineering or electrical engineering with experience of power cables or similar electrical assets, which may include one of more of the following;
- Contributing to and/or leading engineering and/or R&D projects in a relevant engineering sector
- Technical product design or development in commercial engineering, R&D or academic spheres with a good understanding of relevant international standards (IEC, CIGRE and IEEE, etc.)
- Exposure to energy systems including offshore renewable technologies
- Knowledge of/or experience of the design, manufacture and/or testing of electrical assets
Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude to collaborative teamwork are required. You should have experience of leading small teams and/or having direct engineering reports.
You should ideally be a degree qualified professional engineer with high level of competency in electrical engineering theory. A strong first degree in Electrical Engineering is desired – a relevant science/engineering degree with an electrically focused master’s degree may also satisfy the requirements for this role. Candidates with a PhD / EngD degree in a relevant engineering / scientific discipline are encouraged to apply.
Candidates having achieved Chartered Status with the IET would be advantageous.
Though not essential, candidates with demonstrable knowledge of the risks and/or experience of working within high voltage environments and the associated safety requirements would be advantageous.
Do you share our passion and enthusiasm for shaping the future of renewable energy generation? Are you proactive, with the ability to work under your own initiative, and have a ‘can do attitude’? JDR looks for candidates that can bring new ideas to our growing industry with enthusiasm, team work and passion – so if you feel you have these attributes please submit a CV and covering letter today!
Desired Skills and Experience
Electrical or Mechanical Engineering Degree or higher
R&D/industrial design experience
Electrical power engineering/mechanical engineering of umbilical products or power cables
Design, manufacture and/or testing of MV and HV cables
Good understanding of relevant international standards (IEC, CIGRE and IEEE, etc.)