Website CDC Group plc
This listing is about CDC Group plc in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
CDC Group is creating a Data Management team as part of a new focus on investment operations. This is being undertaken to centralise and formalise the responsibility for Data Governance and Data Management within CDC Group to ensure that the benefits and efficiencies that accrue from having data that is complete, accurate and timely can be realised.
The team is tasked to:
- Assist the business in developing and maintaining an effective data governance framework to ensure CDC Group’s data is timely, accurate and complete
- Map and optimise dataflows/data processes across the business. Objective: ensure the most effective use of systems and harvesting of data
- Deliver intelligence from data. Objective: enable process owners to be more efficient and effective
- Maintain data quality. Objective: maintain “golden source” status
We need a professional with experience of creating Data Governance frameworks, building Data Management teams and managing their ongoing activities. This is a practical, hands-on role.
The Head of Data Management will work with other CDC Group resources to create an effective Data Management function, implement operational processes and controls and manage the team. They will evangelise the concept of “data quality” and serve as a liaison between the business and change functions to ensure that data related business requirements are clearly defined, communicated, well understood and considered as part of operational prioritisation and planning.
- Develop and implement an organisation wide data governance framework, with a focus on improving/maintaining data quality as well as the protection of sensitive data through the development of principles, governance, policies/standards, processes and data architecture
- Mapping data flows in the business and determining how data are best harvested. The role will construct reports, build models and innovate ways to visualise data in order to create intelligence.
- Ensure that data governance is understood and valued across the organisation
- Establish roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of CDC Group’s data
- Ensure day to day processes and controls are carried out to the highest standards
- Spearhead CDC Group’s Data Quality agenda by…
- Determining what matters i.e. defining the impact of data quality issues
- Setting standards/data quality metrics
- Checking standards are being met and flagging where they aren’t
- Support analysis of data quality issues and suggest remediations
- Periodically reviewing standards/metrics and recommending changes as/when required
- Participate with and advise on new and ongoing projects that involve CDC data flows and processes
Background, skills, aptitude
Successful candidates will have:
- Deep expertise within data governance with knowledge of data governance practices, business and technology issues related to management of enterprise data and approaches related to data protection
- Experience of working in or managing a Data Management team
- Knowledge of data related regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of emerging trends and issues within the Data Management landscape
- Experience managing senior business stakeholders up to C-level (e.g. CFO)
Essential skills include:
- Developing Data Strategy/Governance/Management and Processes for similar organisations
- Experience working in regulated frameworks, ideally financial services
- Establishing new governance frameworks and operational processes from scratch
- Defining Data standards, improving process and policies to enhance data quality and effectiveness
- Work closely with senior managers to define data strategy for the organisation
- Evolve controls to improve the quality of data and ensure its reliability
- Experience of working with both “business as usual” teams and “business change” teams to cement the principles of Data Governance and Data Management
- Deep knowledge of front, middle and back office operations
- Strong relationship building, with the ability to engage, negotiate, influence and collaborate across the organisation
- Experience of recruitment, team building and management
- Outstanding written documentation and verbal communication
- Results-driven with the ability to work in a fast paced, evolving environment
Desirable skills include:
- Knowledge of data architectures, data warehouses, data lakes etc.
- Experience of both on-premise and cloud-based data solutions
- Experience of utilising data visualisation tools to improve enterprise reporting capabilities
- Project experience of system developments, enhancements or implementations
- Application of Data Governance and Data Management on End User Computing solutions
- Data analysis skills, e.g. SQL, Python etc
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Company: CDC Group plc
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com